Hilbert is the Managing Member and Founder of The Hilbert Law Firm, LLC. He is
a seasoned litigator, repeatedly honored by his peers and legal community as a Georgia
Rising Star, Super Lawyer. He has crafted a domestic and international practice
that provides a wide array of services to clients ranging from banking
institutions and large corporations, to investors, start-ups and individuals. Hilbert is also a Certified Civil
Mediator in the State of Georgia.
primary areas of expertise involve real estate, construction, banking, lending,
employment, partnership liability, and corporate matters. Hilbert represents clients who are on
the “right” side of the case and does not categorize himself as either
plaintiff or defense counsel. His
results speak for themselves.
Georgia Court of Appeals, Judicial Clerkship under the Honorable Frank
University School of Law, with study at University at Oxford, J.D. 2001
Northwestern University, B.A., with honors, Political Science, 1997
Northwestern University, B.M., with honors, 1997
Certified Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
Certified Mediator, registered with Supreme Court of GA/Office of Dispute
Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
Real Property Section, Georgia Bar Association
Trial & General Practice Sections, Georgia Bar Association
North Fulton Chamber of Commerce
Member, Roswell, Inc.
Georgia Lender’s Quality Circle
- Hired as a Legal Expert in several real estate, lending, and title matters.
- Defended and obtained dismissal of $50,000,000.00 bad faith claim against Allstate Insurance Company.
- Negotiated $6,000,000.00 governmental purchase of a strip mall in Cobb County after contentious dispute over easement rights.
- Represents banks in real estate and lending matters.
- Handles numerous cases against builders and developers involving water and mold intrusion claims
- Successfully litigated and obtained in excess of $7,000,000.00 worth of judgments and Settlements for clients relating to construction defects, environmental torts, erosion and sedimentation control violations, Clean Water Act, water intrusion and mold claims.
- Successfully brought a lawsuit to declare the initial GA Fair Lending Act unconstitutional which resulted in the GA General Assembly amending the law.
- Obtained the 1st class action certification in GA history under the GA Fair Lending Act involving fraud and RICO claims for over 1000 fraudulent residential mortgage loans amounting to over $150,000,000.00 in damages. Facilitated US Attorneys and FBI in investigation of criminal investigation relating to claims.
- Obtained judgments in a construction fraud and banking fraud case in excess of $8,000,000.00.
- Set precedent in the State of Georgia regarding the interpretation of arbitration provisions in construction contracts.
- Successfully represented a private AKC championship breeder and obtained a high dollar confidential settlement against a multi-million dollar pet food manufacturer concerning toxic pet food.
- Litigated in both State and Federal Courts and has been successful in numerous appeals.
- Has extensive experience in insurance coverage disputes and declaratory judgment actions.
- A featured keynote speaker at Title Standards Seminar for continuing legal education at the State Bar of Georgia.
- Successfully participated in and/or completed over 100 barments, tax deed matters and/or quiet title actions concerning title to real property.
- Completed in excess of 500 evictions and judicial foreclosure actions for banks and private investors.
- Successfully mediated numerous cases as an advocate ranging from construction disputes to sexual harassments claims. Achieved designation as Certified Civil Mediator in the State of Georgia to also serve as a neutral.
- Actively practices in superior courts located in Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb, Cobb, Clayton, Polk, Paulding, Pickens, Evans, Macon-Bibb, Chatham, Rabun, Forsyth, Glynn and Green.
Author of column entitled, Legal-"Ease" for the Roswell Beacon, a newspaper & online magazine. Click on the links below for a sampling of Mr. Hilbert's published columns:
Liability: It’s Not Just About Peanut Butter! - 2/21/09
Blunders and Baloney - 2/08/09
Contingency, Hybrid or Flat? - 2/1/09
I have a case? - 1/24/09
with Foreclosures - 1/19/09
The Fight Against Mortgage Fraud, Real Property Law Section Newsletter,
State Bar of Georgia, co-authored with Peter Lublin, Winter 2007.
Real Property Law Newsletter
Larsen v. The Hawaiian Kingdom, The American Journal of International
Law, Bederman, Esq. Vol. 95, No.4 (October 2001). This article
has been picked up and cited in numerous working papers, theses
and international internet blogs and journals including the Chinese
Journal of International Law and pilot issue of the Hawaiian Journal
of International Law.
Lead counsel in notable insurance defense case:
Wilson v. Allstate
Insurance Company et al, 1:08-cv-01829-CAP; Northern District of
Georgia; $50,000,000.00 bad faith claim against Allstate. Case
dismissed in favor of Allstate.
Lead counsel in recent GA Supreme Court and Court of Appeals precedent:
Davis v. Deutsche Bank Nat. Trust Co., 285 Ga.
22, 673 S.E.2d 221, 09 FCDR 416, Ga., February 09, 2009 (NO. S08A2067)
- won at Supreme Court.
Hash Properties, LLC v. Conway, 298 Ga.App.
241, 679 S.E.2d 799, 09 FCDR 2055, Ga. App., June 05, 2009
(NO. A09A0531) - won and received $40,000.00 in attorney’s
fees on top of the Motions for Summary Judgement award.
Order Homes, LLC v. Iverson, --- S.E.2d ----,
2009 WL 2517087, 09 FCDR 2847, Ga. App., August 19, 2009 (NO.
A09A0931) - this one clarified the law in GA on arbitrating claims
in construction cases—applying
equitable estoppel doctrine where non-signatories sub-contractors
could compel contracting party to arbitrate construction defect
top | back
Lisa York Bowman
Kurt R. Hilbert
Matthew J. Lee
Susan Green Miller
Robert D. Williams